How to Stay on Track This Halloween
by Brenda Hoehn on Aug 22, 2023
How to Stay on Track This Halloween
There’s no need to feel haunted by the sight of Halloween treats. While they can make staying on track with your weight management goals challenging, you can still enjoy this holiday season without losing focus on your health.
Stay on track by following this guide, which includes how to handle going to Halloween parties, getting candy for trick-or-treaters, or making healthier recipes!
#1. Eat Protein and Vegetables
There are bound to be unhealthy treats at Halloween parties. Fill up on protein-rich foods and vegetables before showing up, and bring something healthy for when temptation strikes. Raw vegetables with a savory, healthy dip will do the trick, as will one of the recipes below.
#2. Chew Gum and Sip Low-Calorie Beverages
Chewing gum can help satisfy a sweet tooth, and studies have shown that chewing gum can reduce stress, so keep it handy! Plus, low-calorie beverages, like herbal tea and flavored water, can help keep your hands and mouth busy. You’ll also stay hydrated, which is key for weight management.
#3. Put Off Buying Candy
To keep treats out of sight, wait to purchase candy for trick-or-treaters until the last minute, and don’t open the bag until they arrive at your door. If you have leftovers, it’s recommended to give them away. For instance, you can take them to work or pass them along to your neighbors.
#4. Don’t Purchase Your Favorite Candy
Sure, everyone has a favorite Halloween candy, but if you have to buy candy, buy another kind. Chances are, you may not want to eat it; is it really worth the calories?
To avoid mindless eating, don’t eat directly out of the bag or container. Instead, check the nutrition label and portion out one serving.
#5. Follow These Recipes
Here are six recipes you can make this season. The trick is to serve them first and then reveal to others the secret ingredient. It’s possible that not a single person would have ever guessed something was added!
Protein Cheesecake Dip
- 4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chocolate or vanilla ProCare Health | Whey Isolate Protein Powder
- Optional: a splash of milk
- Optional: artificial sweetener
- If the cream cheese is firm, place it in a bowl and microwave for about 15 seconds to soften.
- Place cream cheese in a bowl. With a whisk, hand mixer, or food processor, stir until light and airy for about 30-45 seconds.
- Add the Greek yogurt and protein powder and whisk to combine.
- If it’s too thick, add a splash of milk.
- If it’s not sweet enough, add artificial sweetener.
Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill*
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt*
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce*
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
- Fresh chives, chopped
- Put all the ingredients, from yogurt to cayenne pepper, into a medium-sized bowl.
- Stir until blended and garnish with fresh chives.
*If you’d prefer, you can use a ranch powder packet instead of these ingredients. This version cuts down the sodium and gives it a little something extra!
LiquaCel® Jell-O® Shots
- 3 oz box Sugar-Free Jell-O®
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup LiquaCel®
- Add hot water to the Jell-O® mix and stir until dissolved.
- Put in the cold water and LiquaCel® and stir.
- Pour the mixture into an 8×8 dish and place in the refrigerator.
- Once it has set, cut into pieces.
LiquaCel® | Liquid Protein is available on ProCare Health’s website. Choose from apple, grape, peach mango, watermelon, and unflavored.
Protein Rice Krispy Treats
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 cups marshmallows
- 1 cup protein powder
- 6 cups Rice Krispies®
- In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter.
- Once melted, add in the marshmallows and stir often until it’s smooth and all lumps are gone.
- Remove from heat, put in the protein powder, and stir. Work quickly, as the marshmallows are getting tougher.
- Add the Rice Krispies® and mix until combined.
- Grease a 9×13 pan and the back of a spoon. Transfer the mixture to the pan. If it’s very sticky, use your hands.
- Let set for 1-2 hours and then cut into pieces.
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed well)
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sugar or artificial sweetener
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Optional: more chocolate chips for presentation
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine all the ingredients except the chocolate chips. Put into a food processor or blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and then pour the mixture into a greased 8×8 pan.
- Optionally, sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top.
- Cook the black bean brownies for 15-18 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes and then cut into pieces.
Healthy Chocolate Brownies
Stay Focused on Your Goals With ProCare Health
At ProCare Health, we care about your health and nutrition. Our experts make it easy to understand post-bariatric surgery needs so you don’t feel overwhelmed. Simply request a free sample, view recordings of our live video events, or reach out to a member of our team.
For more Halloween recipes, watch our live event Healthy Halloween Recipes – Frighteningly Delish. As with each of our live events, a replay is available afterward!
Give us a call at 877-822-5808 or contact us today with any questions!