The Importance of Taking Bariatric Vitamins
by Anthony Benjamin on Oct 12, 2022
The Importance of Taking Bariatric Vitamins
Excitement surrounds life after weight loss surgery as you’re officially gaining a new opportunity to better your health. It’s time to start a new routine but first you must understand that consuming nutrients will now be a challenge. Bariatric vitamins, however, play a crucial part in keeping you on track. What happens if you don’t take them? Here’s a holiday-inspired look at your past, present, and future without those necessary supplements.
The Ghost of Bariatric Past
Before you made the decision to get bariatric surgery, your life was different. You’d find yourself thinking about how your weight has negatively impacted your confidence; you’d try a new diet hoping it would change your life; or you’d exercise constantly trying to lose as many pounds as possible. What brought you to this point? Let’s look back even further into the past. Some people engage in poor diets and aren’t active enough early on, while others have underlying medical conditions that are to blame. Either way, staying on top of your health was once a difficult path for you.
The Ghost of Bariatric Present
Surgery has now come and gone. The first weeks of recovery consist of a liquid diet, followed by a transition to soft foods. Protein shakes, along with vitamins and minerals, are incorporated into your diet as well. After several months, you find yourself eating around six smaller meals a day instead of three and you drink around eight cups of water. You’re starting to feel so much better that you decide to stop taking your bariatric vitamins.
The Ghost of Bariatric Future
Without taking your vitamins every day, you increasingly become at risk for nutritional deficiencies. Remember that your body can no longer absorb nutrients like it once did. In fact, the supplements are a large part of the reason that you started to feel better. A few particular areas that could soon be impacted include your:
- Blood – Low iron levels can result in anemia, or a blood disorder that makes you feel tired. It can also occur from a lack of vitamin B12 and other nutrients. ProCare Health recommends our once daily bariatric multivitamin capsule or chewable, and bariatric multivitamins + probiotics.
- Bones and Teeth– Weak bones lead to breaks but proper nutrients such as vitamin D and K, along with calcium, work to keep them strong. Your teeth also require a steady amount of calcium as cavities can form and teeth can chip without it. Avoid osteoporosis and tooth decay by trying our once daily bariatric multivitamin capsule or chewable, calcium soft chews, and calcium dark chocolate are available to assist your daily regimen.
- Hair, Skin, and Nails – A lack of vitamins A, C, and E, or biotin, can interrupt hair and nail growth – causing them to become fragile and dull. Also, the skin can become prone to acne, melanin, and more at risk to precancerous growths. These nutrients are found in our once daily bariatric multivitamin capsule or chewable, and NOW-brand biotin capsules.
- Bacteria Balance – Probiotics are “good” bacteria that can be erased from your body (along with the “bad”) as a result of bariatric surgery and antibiotics. They assist in the absorption of nutrients through digestion, enhance your overall health by increasing your body’s immunity, and even accelerate weight loss when you first start taking them. Realign your balance of “good” and “bad” bacteria with our bariatric multivitamins + probiotics.
- Muscles – A minimum of 60 grams of protein is recommended daily to maintain your muscle mass. We offer a variety of options for protein shakes, like Whey Isolate Protein Powder and Z-Pro25 Meal Replacement Protein.
Back to the Present
Now that you have seen where your body has been and what could become of it, you should speak to your doctor about which bariatric vitamins are right for you. Your doctor can also help you find a proper regimen if the present formula of vitamin you take does not agree with your stomach. It’s possible that a delay in taking them has altered your current needs. Each patient is different, and every procedure is unique. Whether you have had a gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, duodenal switch, mini bypass, or an adjustable band, ProCare Health has the supplements your body craves.
Why Choose ProCare Health?
ProCare Health’s multivitamin utilizes easy-to-absorb ingredients, meets updated 2016 ASMBS recommendations, and is made in the USA. It is specifically designed for people who have undergone bariatric surgery. With us, you can feel confident you are getting the absorption and nutrients needed to stay healthy. Check out all of our available products online at procarenow.com.